The Berlin Mathematical School is a joint endeavor of the mathematics’ departments at the universities in Berlin: Freie Universität (FUB), Humboldt-Universität (HU) and Technische Universität (TU). It combines their broad expertise in mathematics into an excellent environment for graduate studies. The BMS is funded through the German “Excellence Initiative”.
We offer an excellent doctoral program taught in English in a broad and active research environment together with mentoring programs, language courses, soft-skills seminars, funding for summer schools and conferences, a buddy program and funding for students with children.
Students of Mathematics from all over the world are invited to apply to the doctoral program at the BMS. All courses are offered in English. We also provide professional assistance for visas, housing, child-care and language courses. Scholarships for excellent students are available. Applications are open now for students who will have finished their bachelor’s degree by next summer (Phase I) as well as for students who will have finished a master’s degree or equivalent (Phase II).
Our seven research areas are:
1. Differential geometry, global analysis, and mathematical physics
2. Algebraic and arithmetic geometry, number theory
3. Probability, statistics, and financial mathematics
4. Discrete mathematics and combinatorial optimization
5. Geometry, topology, and visualization
6. Numerical mathematics and scientific computing
7. Applied analysis and differential equations
All you need to know about applying to the BMS is available online:
You can apply at: http://www.math-berlin.de/application
Deadline for scholarships: 1 December 2016
Deadline for admission only: 1 April 2017