Artificial Intelligence Coming of Age – Research and Development in Germany September 23rd to 29th 2018
The Postdoctoral Researchers’ Networking Tour 2018 offers on-site visits to universities, research institutes and companies in the field of artificial intelligence, discussions with experts and numerous networking opportunities. Programme related costs and a travel allowance are covered by DAAD.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is revolutionizing industrial production and will shape the workplace of the future – as well as the whole of society. The emergence of ever-smarter AI programming and more versatile robotics allows AI technologies to push past repetitive tasks and to take on increasingly adaptive and intelligent applications. This will strongly affect the highly developed industrial sector in Germany and as a result, various actors are investing enormously into research on AI applications. The traditional close cooperation between universities, research institutions and industries is demonstrating – and will have to demonstrate – the system’s capabilities and potential for innovation.
With this year’s Postdoctoral Researchers’ Networking Tour we want to offer an efficient, focused, and enjoyable opportunity to these researchers to get to know the hot spots of AI research and application in Germany. Travelling together throughout Germany, the tour will provide close looks and deep insights into cutting edge research topics, job perspectives and cooperation opportunities. At the same time, it will allow the participating researchers to exchange their ideas and perspectives with other participants from all over the world, and with us.
Are you interested? Apply now!
(The deadline for submitting your application is July 15th, 2018.)
The tour will be entirely conducted in English. The detailed planning of the tour is currently being finalized; regular updates on the institutions and topics (including links) is available here.
The tour’s feature:
Get first-hand information and meet top scientists during on-site visits to
- research institutes
and an insight into high level research projects
- please check the detailed schedule
Face to face discussions with experts offer you the opportunity to find out more about
the German higher education system
- funding opportunities
- the job market
- the start-up scene
- the employer ‘s perspective
- application procedures
Benefit from numerous networking opportunities with
- representatives of business and academia
- other tour participants.
What we expect:
- have obtained their PhD/doctorate no longer than 5 years ago and have not been living in Germany or affiliated to a German institution within the previous 12 months
- have been researching in a subject area corresponding to the focus of the tour
- have demonstrated high productivity and quality in their scientific work. This should be clearly documented in the list of publications (journal/conference), patents and other achievements
- have a genuine interest in taking the next step in their career in Germany and be able to demonstrate this (e.g. former or current cooperation, favourable research or career opportunities, specific career demands)
- have exhibited drive and determination, initiative and a willingness to play a role in shaping the future.
What we offer:
- a practice-oriented and diverse programme to suit the requirements of the participants
- coverage of programme-related costs in Germany (accommodation, domestic travel, most meals)
- a lump sum travel allowance if such costs are not borne by a third party. This will also be provided if the stay is extended by up to five working days in order to allow for additional professional networking.
NB: A pdf-version of the application form is available here. We suggest that you read this carefully before completing the online form. We have tried to keep the form as short as possible and to focus on the information needed for the selection process. In addition to the application form it is only necessary to upload a copy of your CV and a publication list.
– The deadline for submitting your application is July 15th, 2018 –
Then please contact us at
GSO Leadership Academy
The GSO Leadership Academy supports young researchers of all disciplines who want to further develop the skills they need for the next step in their careers in academia and beyond. Together with renowned partners the GSO Leadership Academy offers selected candidates two intensive trainings in the U.S. and in Germany. Fellows will gain a better understanding of their personal approach to leadership, experience what it means to model leadership in different research-related environments, and learn how they can further push their personal development.
Research in Germany
Germany offers various career opportunities for international PhD students and researchers. Read more about your career and research opportunities in Germany and visit the website „Research in Germany“: www.research-in-germany.org
Postdoc-NeT 2016 and 2017
Information on last year’s tour with the topic Materials Science and Nanotechnology can be found here (Fellows 2017).
In 2016 the topic of Postdoc-NeT was Perspectives in German Molecular Bioscience. Information on the participants is available here.